What is Overmolding of Connectors to Cables and its Importance?
Overmoulded cables are gaining popularity, and their usage has creased significantly. Overmolding of connectors to cables has altered the traditional cable assembly by adding more functionality and customization options. They do not only add aesthetic value, but overmolded cable assembly has many other benefits that enable companies to manufacture unique overmolded cable assembly with their company brand name and logo. Keep reading this article to know everything about the overmolding, method, and benefits.
What is Overmolding?
Overmoulding of the connector is a method where either injection molding or insert molding is performed to merge connectors and wires as a single piece. The cable assembly components are placed inside the mold to perform this process, after which the hot liquid plastic material is injected for covering. After cooling down, the final result will be in the shape of the mold that was used earlier. If you have performed all the steps carefully, then overmolded cable assembly will safeguard the underlying wires and connectors’ connection.
If the cable assembly and its connector have worn out, you can perform the process of overmolding, as it is the ultimate choice for offering a secure seal. Overmolded cables have advanced mechanical strength and versatility, thereby allowing them to withstand extreme environmental conditions, even the sterilization process.
Overmolding Process for Cable Assembly
You can not mold cable assembly without the injection molding machine because the injection machine is needed to press the overlying material (usually thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU)) to the mold with a high degree of pressure. The process associated with overmolding is as follow:
Injection Molding Machines
While performing any task, it is essential to use the right tools to perform the task perfectly and successfully. For overmolding of the cable assembly, you need an injection molding machine to perform the overmolding process. But you need to first identify the amount of pressure required to keep the molten resin within the mold. The larger the mold, the higher will be the pressure needed to be exerted. Then it would be best if you found the right injection molding machine that can exert the required amount of force.
After finding the appropriate injection molding machine, the next task is to look for an ideal material effective for the overmolding of the cable assembly. You must know that every material has its distinct qualities, such as some might make the cable assembly rigid, while some can make it flexible. So, choose the material wisely. The two most commonly used overmolding materials are:
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU): TPU offers a high level of elasticity and resists fraying. It is more widely used in cold regions.
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC): PVC is one of the favorite materials due to being versatile, along with remarkable durability and flexibility. It also resists moisture.
When the process of injection molding begins, the mold resin is injected into the molding machine via a hopper. There the resin can be mixed with additives of different kinds. Afterward, it is pumped by the injection screw to the mold cavity. At the barrel of the screw, the material is heated at a high temperature. As soon as the material is melted, the liquid form starts to flow towards the barrel’s end. After that, the injection screw transfers it to the mold cavity within a few seconds. It is the place where the mold can customize its shape into any logo or any other shape. The screw will continue to apply pressure to prevent the resin from going anywhere and so that it can start to cool and begin solidifying.
If you want to make the cooling process finish quickly, you can add circulating water or oil. Once the resin has solidified, you can now remove it from the mold. Your final product will have the shape of the mold.
Benefits of Overmolding
Many companies wonder why they should invest so much time and money in overmoldig connectors to cable instead of using ordinary cables. Following are the benefits that narrate the importance of overmolded cable assembly and connector.
- Overmolding enables you to design the product as per your preference. Due to the increased flexibility of the material, overmolded cables are easier to work with.
- Overmolded cables can be dyed easily into any color you want. Not only they appear appealing to eyes, but it makes it easy to identify one cable from another.
- You can shape it the way you want. You can also shape them with your company’s logo, allowing you to reach the aesthetic standards and highest quality.
- With overmolded cable, there are fewer chances of human error during installation. All thanks to one single unit of cable and connector that are bonded together through the thermoplastic material.
- Overmolded cables are highly durable and long-lasting without any chance of abrasion. They are capable to withstand extreme environmental conditions.
- Overmolded cables deliver top-notch product quality, along with the water and shock resistant nature.
- Overmolded cables offer 360-degree strain relief and enhanced pull strength. The majority of movement between the cable and connector occurs at the cable exit. That’s why overmolding improves performance and enhances cable life. Overmolded breakouts at any angle or configuration provide protection and strain relief.
- Overmolding makes cable assemblies tamper-proof by encapsulating components beneath a sealed resin.
Customization with Overmolding
One of the advantages of the overmolding cable assembly is the privilege of customization. You can customize the cables as per your requirements or preferences. Some of the common customization options include:
- The color of the mold. You can color-code each wire according to its function, or you can color it according to your company’s logo. You can also correspond to the cable jacket or combine it with equipment.
- You can write your company’s name and logo on the overmolded cable.
- You can insert flanges to help in connecting attachment points.
- You can create the shape as well as exit point according to your usage and application requirements.
- You can insert LED indicator light to locate the bad connectors, which will reduce the repair times.
- You can use the material of your choice.
Overmolded cable will increase your performance efficiency, along with the promise to stay with you for a long time due to its extraordinary features, such as durability, water resistance, etc. Besides that, the possibility to customize with company name and logo also adds great value to the company’s reputation and professionalism.
AK Overmolding Portfolio
Low Pressure Molding:
- All types of hotmelts can be injection-molded
- Injection pressure up to max. 40 bar
High Pressure Molding:
- TPE, PVC and other current thermoplastics can be injection-molded
- Injection pressure up to 2.000 bar
- Many different connector versions – standard, special, customer specific.
- Straight or 90°- cables exits
- Multiple cable entry/exits
- Components moulds
- AK – standard connector overmolds
- AK – own development overmolds
- Customer specific connector overmolds
Overmolded Super Seal Series
Overmolded DIN72585 Connector Series
Overmolded Deutsch DT Connector Series
Relay Termination Bridge Overmolded
Wall Duct for Power Distribution Overmold
Overmolded Semiconductor Diode In-Line
Overmolded Semiconductor in DIN72585 Housing
Overmolded Cutomized Connector
Min-Tec Overmolding Portfolio
Min-Tec Industriale Srl founded in 1955 is a company that has many years of experience in the field of Industrial Connectors, including molding and overmolding plastic materials.
Specialised in the production of industrial connectors therange of products is used in various sectors, predominantly in the production of for example Mobile Hydraulics, Agricultural machinery, Construction Equipment but also commonly used in general Industrial applications including Automation.
Since then it has steadily developed its capabilities in the production of Industrial plugs and Connectors up to achieve in 2005 a new range of products: Industrial connectors for sensors, actuators, connectors and passive distribution systems for the field of industrial automation, pneumatics and hydraulics.
With the experience gained over the years, the technical department is able to develop and produce products and competitive solutions for standard applications and according to customer’s specifications.
As always, the constant aim of its development, it is the acquisition of new technologies and equipment that enable a company to be competitive in the market, for the service that is able to offer to our customers, and for its quality system ISO 9001:2000 certified that allows to ensure a high quality of the products.
Circular Connector M12 Power series
Power connectors in “S” code with high intensity of rated current to 12A max and voltage of 600 V
BUS Industrial Connectors
Available for following protocols: Profibus, CANopen/DeviceNet, Ethercat, Profinet and industrial Ethernet
Passive distribution boxes
Passive distribuition system available with various combinations and configurations to fit customer specific application.
Valve Connectors with available overmolded connectors DIN EN 175301-803, Deutsch (DT series) and TE Junior Timer.
Circular connectors for Sensors / Actuators
Connectors M8 and M12 straight or angled, modular with a different types of cables and different key options as ‘A’ or ‘B’.
We can customize the products thanks to our know how and long experience including spiral cables and Inline splitter cable.